iSTAN is happy to announce the first competition and exhibition for stage artists. The 2018 Competition and Exhibition is focusing on Costume Design and Makeup Design.
The International Stage Art Network (iSTAN) was founded as a joint venture between the International Theatre Institute (ITI) and the Central Academy of Drama (CAD Beijing), as a non-profit organization devoted to the Stage Arts. It conducts a series of international artistic and academic activities such as competitions, exhibitions, summits and publications. The events intend to cover all stage art and design subjects with various themes. iSTAN intends to promote innovation and inspire development in the field of the stage arts and stage design.
- Goals of the Competition
- As announced during the first iSTAN Stage Art Summit, held in Beijing 2016, iSTAN is pleased to announce a competition which concentrates on Costume Design and Makeup Design. The goal of the competition is to promote and stimulate the artistic creativity of stage art and design professionals and students.
- For this, professionals and students alike of makeup and costume design are invited to enter our competition, independent of nationality, age, gender and ethnicity. There will be two categories a) Professionals; and b) students. The winners in these categories will be invited to the exhibition held in May 2018.
- For the Competition, we are asking all interested stage art institutions, universities, academies, designers and other related organizations to promote the competition and encourage their members or their students to participate in the competition.
- The entries of the competition will be reviewed by a jury which consist of internationally experienced
- Goals of the Exhibition
In May 2018 iSTAN is organizing an exhibition in the new campus of the Central Academy of Drama in Beijing. Part of the exhibition is dedicated to the winners (iSTAN Golden Award and iSTAN Young Award) and those who receive a special mention (iSTAN Excellence Award and iSTAN Young Excellence Award). Moreover, the exhibition will show the work of some extraordinary, influential costume designers and makeup designers from different parts of the world.
The iSTAN Awards will be awarded in two categories:
- Professional Awards
There will be two (2) iSTAN Golden Awards – one for an outstanding Costume Designer, one for an outstanding Makeup Designer.
Additionally there will be six (6) iSTAN Excellence Awards for excellent work in the category of Costume Design, and six (6) iSTAN Excellence Awards for excellent work in the Category Makeup Design.
- Student Awards (Young Practitioners)
There will be two (2) iSTAN Young Awards – one for an outstanding young Costume Designer, one for an outstanding young Makeup Designer.
Additionally there will be six (6) iSTAN Young Excellence Awards for excellent work, given to students or young practitioners of the category of Costume Design, and six (6) iSTAN Young Excellence Awards for excellent work, given to students or young practitioners in the Category Makeup Design
Professionals and Students (Young Practitioners)
- iSTAN Golden Award winners and iSTAN Young Award winners will;
- be invited to attend the Exhibition Opening & Award Ceremony of iSTAN Excellent Work Exhibition of International Theatre Costume and Makeup Design Competition at the Central Academy of Drama in Beijing. iSTAN will cover the costs of the round-trip ticket, local transport and accommodation;
- be invited to take part in International Theatre Costume and Makeup Design Summit 2018 at the new Campus of the Central Academy of Drama in Beijing at the same time. Winners will also
- have opportunities to communicate with the master costume and makeup designer, face to face, and attend relevant academic activities;
- gain the opportunity to promote their own reputation on the official website of iSTAN, ITI and 2 other media;
- gain the opportunity to be recommended by iSTAN to work at relevant institutions and organizations.
- iSTAN Excellence Award winners and the iSTAN Young Excellence Award winners will have the opportunity to take part in iSTAN Excellent Work Exhibition of International Theatre Costume and Makeup Design Competition at the Central Academy of Drama in Beijing, which may show their work and will be promoted online.
- Competition Requirements
- Open to designers who have worked in the field of the stage arts professionally as a Costume Designer or Makeup Designer.
- The entry should be stage costume works and makeup design works which have been formally shown.
- Each competitor can submit only one work including 3-5 figures design scheme, with a description.
- The competitor should submit relevant design drawings, final costume and makeup photos, texture details and photos of performances which present the idea of the design.
- Innovative and high-quality entries are preferred.
- Students (Young Practitioners)
- Open to undergraduates and new graduates as well as young practitioners (artists, people working as Costume Designers or Makeup Designers, not being students, aged 18 to 28 years).
- The entries should be stage costume works and makeup design works (including works that are/ are not already performed, but the object of design must concern theatre).
- Each competitor can submit only one work including 3-5 figures design scheme and a description.
- The competitor should submit relevant design drawings, final costume and makeup photos, texture details and photos of performance which will present the idea of design.
- Innovative and high-quality entries are preferred. Application and Participation
- This competition consists of two parts: 1) primary evaluation and 2) final evaluation. The registration of this competition is free.
- The application for primary evaluation: log into iSTAN’s official website i-stan.org , and download the registration form and finish the application following the requirements and submit your work by email:
- Professionals send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. iSTAN will send you an acknowledgement that the entry has been received. If you are not getting an acknowledgement 3 days after the submission, get in touch with iSTAN over email@example.com
- Students (Young Practitioners) send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. iSTAN will send you an
- The deadline for submitting for the primary evaluation, for both professionals and students, is 28 February 2018. Entries arriving at a later date will be disregarded.
- You will be informed as to whether your entry has reached the second round of the competition by
27 March 2018.
- The selected work that, upon going into the second round of the competition, will be asked to submit more information and pictures according to specific demands must be received by 10 April
- Information about the Award
- First round entrants will be made aware if their work is not being considered by 23 March 2018
- Those who are part of the second round will be announced 27 March 2018
- The winners of an iSTAN Award will be announced 4 May 2018.
- The Award Ceremony in Beijing will take place on the 25 May 2018. iSTAN Competition Contact
Tel: +86 10 5662 0461 or +86 10 5662 0375
Central Academy of Drama, No. 4 Hongfu Middle Rd, Changping District, Beijing, China
During the competition, the committee will release relevant notice on iSTAN’s official website and through WeChat as well. So the competitors should keep an eye out for this information.
Rights and Obligations
- There is no charge to participate in this competition.
- The copyright of dissemination, exhibition, publicity and publishing shall be explained by iSTAN.
- All the works must be original and shall not infringe upon any third party’s copyright, intellectual property or exclusive rights.
- The competition committee shall not be responsible for any liability arising from legal issues involving copyright, and etc. The committee will cancel the concerned competitor’s eligibility and awards. The concerned competitor should take the relevant responsibility.
- All rights are reserved by iSTAN.
We wish all the best to all the participants – the professionals and the students/young practitioners!
The iSTAN Competition Committee